But I'm getting ahead of myself...
My preparations for this trip began months ago, but it didn't actually begin to seem real until it was time to leave Mac. As friends can testify this was hard, with many watery-eyed hugs. I look forward to hearing from everyone, especially those who have promised to write me letters! (367 Leith St., Dunedin, Otago 9016, New Zealand)
I also had my family to say goodbye to and that was even harder. The first time I flew by myself (to Texas for 10 weeks) it was a rather tearful goodbye. I'll spare you the gory details of my waterworks this time around, let it suffice to say that I love them all very much and it's too bad there are no such things as rewards for frequent skype-ing. I'm going to do my best to stay in touch without, you know, calling home every day or anything ridiculous like that.
I also had my family to say goodbye to and that was even harder. The first time I flew by myself (to Texas for 10 weeks) it was a rather tearful goodbye. I'll spare you the gory details of my waterworks this time around, let it suffice to say that I love them all very much and it's too bad there are no such things as rewards for frequent skype-ing. I'm going to do my best to stay in touch without, you know, calling home every day or anything ridiculous like that.
Flying over the Pacific I (unlike poor Kaija) had a chance to think about where I've been and where I'm going. It dawned on me that this time last year I was in the Bahamas. I also thought about the last time I was in NZ (14 years ago this month). Thinking about all this led me to two conclusions: (1) I have a pretty nice life and (2) I have a tendency to live in the past and future rather than enjoying the moment. My corresponding resolutions for New Zealand are to (A) stop worrying so much and (B) relax and smell the flowers. If you find me deviating from these resolutions please send me a nice letter and some dark chocolate.
It is now 4 pm, 2 days, 1 sleeping pill and several thousand miles later and I am sitting in my new room in Dunedin wondering where to start. My adventure has begun! More soon ...
Much love,
Allison
Allison
Hmmm, it says zero comments but I definitely commented...damn UB internet. The gist was I'm so excited for you! Was that a picture of all your luggage? I can't wait for pictures and updates on life in NZ!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh and that I think it's hilarious that you sassed the security guard. Would have served you right if they'd confiscated your laptop right there, terrorist. :D
ReplyDelete